After Joshua lost to Usyk back in September, the former heavyweight champ immediately triggered an immediate rematch clause. However, according to The Telegraph, Joshua is close to accepting a £15million payout that would pave the way for a Fury vs Usyk showdown.
According to Eddie Hearn, he plans to meet with Anthony Joshua soon to discuss stepping aside.
“I’m meeting with AJ and 258 management [on Tuesday] to go through plans for his next fight. We have a number of proposals and options to discuss,” Hearn said. “The goal remains the same of course – to re-capture the world heavyweight crown.”
Usyk’s promoter Alex Krassyuk, meanwhile, says they are in talks with Fury but they are still prepared to rematch Joshua is the step aside money is not agreed to.
“We are in talks regarding Tyson Fury since November. Though Anthony Joshua gave his consent [reportedly] we still have not reached final point in negotiations. Unless we get it – AJ rematch remains the basic option for us.”
With Anthony Joshua potentially taking step aside money, the Tyson Fury vs. Dillian Whyte purse bid has been delayed a couple of times. Bob Arum, who promotes Fury says the negotiations have been total chaos to see what is next for all three men.
“It is total chaos,” Arum told talkSPORT.com last week. What’s happening is just promises coming out of the Middle East about doing a unified fight with Usyk and Fury, and is Dillian Whyte gonna step aside. And people that have absolutely no contractual ties – like Frank Warren’s Queensberry and our Top Rank do – are getting involved. It’s a typical terrible kind of situation, but hopefully it’ll get sorted out.”
Do you think we will see Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk next?