The WBC are set to press ahead with a purse bid for Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez who has been ordered to face Avni Yildirim for the currently vacant super-middleweight title.
Alvarez is currently embroiled in a bitter legal battle with his broadcast partner DAZN, Oscar De La Hoya, and Golden Boy Promotions. The Mexican superstar launched legal action earlier this week due to a breach of contract – he is seeking $280m in damages.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman told Sky Sports that despite the ongoing drama surround ‘Canelo’ a purse bid for his fight against Yildrim will still go ahead later this month, he said.
“The WBC ordered Canelo versus Yildirim for the vacant title. The purse bid is scheduled for September 21.”
Ahmet Oner who promotes Yildrim believes the Al Haymon backed Premier Boxing Champions will likely make a sizeable offer to host the fight should it go to purse bids.
“We are waiting, I don’t know what happens,” Oner said. “The plans are made by the WBC. We are the mandatory challenger. Whatever the WBC decides, we have to follow the rules.
“We are happy with our position that we are the mandatory challenger, and if it’s Canelo, it’s great. If it’s a different opponent, then we will see. We’ll go from there, but right now, I don’t know who is fighting us for the vacant title.
“Canelo is a big chance for us, so I let things go smooth. Let him resolve his issues, if it’s possible.
“We’ll be happy if it’s Canelo, and if it’s then decided that Canelo will not fight, then I speak to my partners PBC. We have a contract with them and we have an agreement, so we’ll speak to PBC and the president Mauricio Sulaiman.
“I am still hopeful for Canelo.”
Do you think Alvarez will actually fight Yildrim next?