Dillian Whyte could still be facing Tyson Fury next.
The WBC interim heavyweight champion is expected to challenge Fury for his crown in the next few months given that Oleksandr Usyk is set to rematch Anthony Joshua.
However, there was a surprise at the WBC convention on Tuesday when the governing body announced that they could not order the title fight.
The reason? Ironically, Whyte’s ongoing legal case against the WBC over the delay in him getting a title shot. Whyte took legal action last year.
WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman confirmed at the time: “There is a procedure with regards to the date of the mandatory in the heavyweight division. Upon direct advice of WBC legal counsel I am not in position to discuss any further.”
That said, Eddie Hearn — who promotes Whyte — believes a decision will be made in due time and that Whyte will be the mandatory for Fury (via Michael Benson).
“There’s a legal process going on with Whyte which is with the arbitrators right now,” Hearn said. “They’ll be making a decision in due course which I believe will mean that Whyte will be mandatory for Fury.”
Whyte last competed in March where he got revenge on Alexander Povetkin with a fourth-round TKO win.
Are you excited for a potential Fury vs. Whyte fight?