Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Controversially Changes Opponent

Julio Cesar Chavez

Former middleweight world champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. has controversially had a last minute opponent change ahead of his comeback fight scheduled to take place on Friday (November 27) at the Revolución Park in Sinaloa, Mexico.

Chavez Jr. was supposed to face off against Nicolás Masseroni (19-1) in a ten round light-heavyweight bout. However, earlier today it was revealed Chavez Jr. had opted to change his opponent at the last minute, he claimed Masseroni was unable to make the contracted weight limit.

“Remember that I told you that the opponent could not lose weight,” Chavez Jr. said. “The opponent is going to be an Ecuadorian. The fight will go forward, the same day. Everything continues in the same way, so see you on Friday.”

Masseroni has since denied he is struggling to make the weight limit and says he opted to withdraw from the fight due to the fact he had never agreed to concrete terms to fight Chavez Jr.

“We could not reach an agreement, that is the reality. I’m ready, I’m ready to fight Friday, this Saturday, and next year. I prepared myself like never before in my life, it is a dream that I have had from a very young age, but unfortunately, we did not agree,” said Masseroni. (Transcribed by Boxing Scene)

Chavez has lost back-to-back fights. In September he suffered a loss by technical decision at the hands of his compatriot Mario Cázares. Late last year he was sopped inside five rounds by Daniel Jacobs. In the build-up to this fight date, Chavez Jr. has said he must win as his career is on the line.

Ecuadorian boxer Jeyson Minda will step up on late notice to square off against Chavez Jr. on Friday. He enters the ring with a record of 14 wins, two losses and one draw.

Do you think Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. can ever become a world champion again?