Mike Tyson has revealed he would “love” to complete his trilogy of fights with Evander Holyfield after he squares off against Roy Jones Jr. in an exhibition bout on November 28 at Staples Center in Los Angeles.
The 54-year-old told Jim Gray that he is interested in extending his boxing career beyond this month. Tyson responded positively when the suggestion of a trilogy bout with Holyfield was brought up, he said.
“That’s always something that we can do if the people want it, if it’s pragmatic enough, I’d love to do it,”
Tyson and Holyfield have previously shared the ring twice in two of the most memorable fights in boxing history. In 1996 Holyfield secured an 11th round TKO win to dethrone the WBA heavyweight champion.
A year later their eagerly anticipated rematch was even more memorable. In June 1997, Holyfield-Tyson 2 ended in controversial fashion as Tyson was disqualified for biting his opponent. Holyfield announced earlier this year that he is looking to compete in some exhibition bouts and Tyson seems to be the perfect opponent for this.
Tyson also revealed he is interested in testing himself against the current best heavyweights in boxing after his November 28 exhibition bout, he said.
“Man, that would be a novelty. Me using my skills, matching my skills now against the best heavyweights in the world, that would be mind-boggling.”
For now, ‘Iron Mike’ only has Roy Jones Jr. on his mind. Tyson insists both he and his opponent still have a lot to offer despite being in their fifties.
“‘Old guys’ – that word don’t even make sense,” Tyson said. “‘Old.’ It’s just a new time, a new thinking period in our lives. This is what we want to do. Sometimes the gods of war, they revive you and say, ‘You have to do more.’ Now I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t prepare for this. I box people to see if I’m able do this stuff, so I can do this stuff.” (Transcribed by MMA Fighting)
Do you want to see Mike Tyson vs. Evander Holyfield III?