Erickson “The Hammer” Lubin (23-1-0, 16 KO) wants his rematch with Jermell Charlo, the only man to have defeated him as a professional boxer.
The pair fought back in 2017, with Charlo, now the unified champion at 154, stopping Lubin in the opening round. Since then, “The Hammer” has been on a tear, racking up five straight wins and forming a tight bond with trainer Kevin Cuningham.
The 25-year-old most recent win was a points decision victory over Terrell Gausha on September 19. The win saw Lubin become the mandatory challenger for Charlo’s WBC crown. He is confident that he has learned his lessons from their last meeting.
“It was just a bad habit of dipping out the wrong way, and I had my hands down pretty much, and he was able to land,” Lubin said when talking about the loss with Brian Custer.
“I thought he was shooting to the body, and I kinda dipped into the shot, but it was just a minor mistake that you learn through experience and it taught me more inside and outside the ring. “
Lubin believes that if he meets Charlo a second time, the result will be a lot different and that he poses the biggest threat to Charlo in the division.
“I’m the youngest, that definitely sets me apart. I’m the fastest, I feel like I’m one of the strong guys in the weight class as well, and I box the best. Southpaw, I can box and I can bang, I can do both. I feel like those guys are kinda one dimensional fighters, ” Lubin said.
“I’m with Kevin Cunningham and I’m a southpaw too, I’m growing too. I’m 25 years old, I’m stronger, I’m wiser, I’m smarter, so it will be one of those fights. If we both level up, we going to put it to the test, ” the Florida native added.
Charlo has only just added the IBF and WBA titles to his trophy cabinet, but challengers are already lining up in wait for a shot at his belts.
Check out the full interview below.
Do you think Lubin could defeat Charlo if they fought in a rematch?