Golden Boy Promotions makes its anticipated return today with a five-bout card headlined by one of boxing’s future stars Virgil Ortiz Jr. (15-0, 15 KO). The 22-year-old will take on Samuel Vargas (31-5-2, 14 KO) in a 12 round welterweight clash. Today’s event will take place behind-closed-doors inside the Fantasy Springs Resort Casino in Indio, California.
Ortiz Jr. has been nothing short of impressive since entering the pro ranks in 2016. Training under the watchful eyes of Robert Garcia, Ortiz Jr. was named Ring magazine’s Prospect of the Year in 2019 which he earned through victories over the likes of Mauricio Herrera and Brad Solomon. In Vargas, he will face a seasoned vet who has fought the likes of Errol Spence Jr, Amir Khan, and Danny Garcia. The 31-year-old Colombian is not a comfortable night in the office for any fighter, but it would be a brave soul willing to bet against Ortiz Jr. racking up his sixteenth win tonight.
In the co-main event, Shane Mosley Jr (15-3, 9 KO) and Jeremy Ramos (11-8, 4 KO) will lock horns in an 8 round middleweight clash. The original co-main was a lightweight contest between the undefeated prospect Hector Tanajara Jr. and (19-0, 5 KO) and Mercito Gesta (32-3-3, 17 KO), but that was pulled from the card at the last minute due to Gesta coming down with a bout of food poisoning.
Full Card ( DAZN, 8 pm ET)
- Welterweight: Vergil Ortiz Jr. vs. Samuel Vargas via RD7 TKO
- Middleweight: Shane Mosley Jr. def. Jeremy Ramos via Unanimous Decision
- Women’s junior flyweights: Seniesa Estrada def. Miranda Atkins via RD1 KO
- Super Bantamweight: Hector Valdez def. Josue Morales via Unanimous Decision
- Welterweight: Evan Sanchez def. Issouf Kinda via Unanimous Decision