Matchroom Boxing’s ‘Fight Camp’ begins today (Sat. August 1). The five-fight card is headlined by a super welterweight clash between Sam Eggington (28-6, 17 KO) and Ted Cheeseman (15-2-1, 9 KO).
It’s a good matchup; Eggington’s IBF International Super-Welterweight Title is on the line, and a win for Cheeseman would not only secure him a title but likely push the 24-year-old into the IBF’s top 15, where Eggington currently sits at fifth in the super welterweight standings. The two men are evenly matched and should put on a good show, especially since this is major opportunity for both of them to win over a host of news fans who will be tuning from outside of the UK.
The co-main event sees James Tennyson (26-3, 22 KO) taking on Gavin Gwynne (12-1, 2 KO) in a lightweight clash for the vacant British Lightweight Title. Tennyson comes into this fight ranked by the WBO, IBF, and WBA, and sits at numbers 9, 14, and 11 in their respective organizations. Tennyson, is the favorite here but Gwynne is capable of making life tricky for the Northern Irishman, who is looking to angle himself into a shot at lightweight world title. The 26-year-old has previously fought for a world title , but came up short when he attempted to capture Tevin Farmer’s IBF super featherweight strap.
Today’s Card may lack international star power, but it has several competitive matchups and will not disappoint fans looking for an afternoons entertainment.
Full Card (DAZN, 2:00 pm ET)
- Super Welterweight: Ted Cheeseman def. Sam Eggington via Unanimous Decision( 116-113, 116-113, 115-114) (IBF International Title)
- Lightweight: James Tennyson def. Gavin Gwynne via RD6 TKO (vacant British Lightweight Title)
- Heavyweight: Fabio Wardley def. Simon Vallily via RD3 TKO (vacant British Title),
- Super Lightweight: Dalton Smith def. Nathan Bennett via RD5 KO
- Featherweight: Jordan Gill def. Reece Bellotti via Unanimous Decision (97-93, 97-93, 96-95)