Top Rank Boxing has undergone a last-minute reshuffle for tonight’s (Thur. June 18) card taking place in Las Vegas. The original main event bout was a super lightweight clash between Jose Pedraza and Mikkel LesPierre.
However, Top Rank canceled this fight following last-minute news that LesPierre’s manager had tested positive for Covid-19. In its place, we now have a lightweight clash between up and comer Gabriel Flores Jr (17-0, 6 KO) and Josec Ruiz (21-2-3, 14 KO).
The 20-year-old Flores, who signed with Top Rank aged 16, is regarded by the promotion as one of its top prospects. This fight will be his first scheduled for ten rounds. Ruiz should provide robust competition for Flores, but the 25-year-old Honduran is not expected to be the one with his hand raised at the bout’s conclusion.
MMA fighter turned boxer Clay Collard(6-2-3, 2 KO) was initially planning on chasing a million-dollar paycheck with the Professional Fighters League this summer until the MMA promotion, which runs in league formate, scrapped its 2020 season due to Covid-19. Thankfully, when it comes to earning a paycheck, Collard has boxing to fall back on. He will face off against the undefeated Top Rank prospect David Kaminsky(6-0, 3 KO)
The 27-year-old Collard is coming into this fight on the back of an upset win back in February over another prospect—PBC’s Raymond Guajardo (5-1, 4 KO). Will lightning strike twice? We will find out tonight.
Main Card (8PM EST, ESPN & ESPN Deportes)
- Lightweight: Gabriel Flores Jr (17-0, 6 KO) def. Josec Ruiz via Unanimous Decision
- Super Lightweight: Victor Rodriguez def. Justin Horsley via Unanimous Decision
- Super Featherweight: Frevian Gonzalez def. Jose Martinez via Unanimous Decision
- Super Middleweight: Clay Collard def. David Kaminsky via Split Decision
- Bantamweight: Robert Rodriguez def. Adrian Servin via RD2 TKO